Easy, Yummy Onion Rings (serves 3-4)
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash of pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- dash seasoning salt
- any other seasoning that you like, to taste! :D
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Oil, for frying
- Slice your onion and place in water while you prep everything else.
- In a medium container with a lid, combine your flour and seasonings. In a separate bowl, combine the egg and buttermilk.
- Working with a few onion rings at a time, dip into buttermilk mixture, and then place in the flour. Close the container and shake it to coat the onion rings with the flour mixture. Then, dip back into buttermilk mixture and coat with flour again.
- Repeat this process with all of the onion rings, placing the finished ones on a plate as you are going.
- Heat about 1 inch of oil in a deep skillet until it is hot enough to start frying the onion rings as soon as they are placed in the skillet. Working in small batches, fry the onion rings for about 1-2 minutes each side or until golden brown.
There ya have it!!! I really liked having the flour in a container with a lid because that way there was a whole lot less mess and it made the process go by faster as well!!! A cool thing about onion rings is that they aren't quite as greasy as french fries, for example, because the batter really soaks up excess oil very well. Also, we like our onion rings pretty well seasoned, so if you want to take anything out or even add in some different seasonings, tell me how it works out!!
So tonight is going to be a lot of fun!!!! There's a movie rental place just up the street from us and today is "cheap day", where movies cost about 2-3 reais each!!!! We're going to rent some chick flick and have a girl's night!! Any good chick flick recommendations??? We've seen a lot of movies, but it has been a while since we watched a real chick flick, so I'm excited!
Speaking of girl's night, if that's gonna happen, I need to get on the schoolwork! See ya later!!! :D
Favorite fried food????
Ummm french fries, onion rings, fried dill pickles, heck doughnuts.....basically fry anything and I'll eat it! :D